Mercenaries of Mount Doom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercenaries of Mount Doom

Mercenaries of Mount Doom. Lotro kinship-Snowbourn server

HomeHome  Mercenaries ofMercenaries of  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Poll
When would you prefer to raid?
18:00 gmt
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_vote_lcap31%Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_vote_rcap
 31% [ 10 ]
19:00 gmt
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_vote_lcap50%Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 16 ]
20:00 gmt
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_vote_lcap19%Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_vote_rcap
 19% [ 6 ]
None of these hours are comfortable for me
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_vote_lcap0%Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32
Latest topics
» Vietnam War
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 7:36 am by chandra132

» California (ca 1850)[4] pre-dates any work done by Thomas Edison
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm by lunamoonfang

»  "Menlo Park" after the sign
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:31 pm by lunamoonfang

» n the nineteenth century two Irish immigrants
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:31 pm by lunamoonfang

» All plenary debates from Davos
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 am by lunamoonfang

» In 2006 and 2007 selected participants
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 am by lunamoonfang

»  print, radio and TV take part, and are furnished
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:42 am by lunamoonfang

» Free snorkel tours
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 5:47 am by teentit4n

»  4th night free
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 5:47 am by teentit4n

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Ventrilo details.
IP: 91.192.210.41--port: 3965
Gallery
Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule Empty
Powered by...
free forum

Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kosovohp

Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule Empty
PostSubject: Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule   Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:37 am

When Portuguese explorers reached East Africa in 1498, Swahili and Arab[3] commercial settlements had existed along the coast and outlying islands for several centuries. From about 1500, Portuguese trading posts and forts displaced the Arabic commercial and military hegemony, becoming regular ports of call on the new European sea route to the east.
The Island of Mozambique is a small coral island at the mouth of Mossuril Bay on the Nacala coast of northern Mozambique, first explored by Europeans in the late 1400s

The voyage of Vasco da Gama around the Cape of Good Hope into the Indian Ocean in 1498 marked the Portuguese entry into trade, politics, and society in the Indian Ocean world. The Portuguese gained control of the Island of Mozambique and the port city of Sofala in the early 16th century, and by the 1530s small groups of Portuguese traders and prospectors penetrated the interior regions seeking gold, where they set up garrisons and trading posts at Sena and Tete on the Zambezi River and tried to gain exclusive control over the gold trade. The Portuguese attempted to legitimize and consolidate their trade and settlement positions through the creation of prazos (land grants) tied to Portuguese settlement and administration. While prazos were originally developed to be held by Portuguese, through intermarriage they became African Portuguese or African Indian centres defended by large African slave armies known as Chikunda. Historically within Mozambique there was slavery. Human beings were bought and sold by African tribal chiefs, Arab traders, and the Portuguese. Many Mozambican slaves were supplied by tribal chiefs who raided warring tribes and sold their captives to the prazeiros.[4]

Although Portuguese influence gradually expanded, its power was limited and exercised through individual settlers and officials who were granted extensive autonomy. The Portuguese were able to wrest much of the coastal trade from Arabs between 1500 and 1700, but, with the Arab seizure of Portugal's key foothold at Fort Jesus on Mombasa Island (now in Kenya) in 1698, the pendulum began to swing in the other direction. As a result, investment lagged while Lisbon devoted itself to the more lucrative trade with India and the Far East and to the colonisation of Brazil. During the 18th and 19th centuries the Mazrui and Omani Arabs reclaimed much of the Indian Ocean trade, forcing the Portuguese to retreat south. Many prazos had declined by the mid-19th century, but several of them survived. During the 19th century other European powers, particularly the British (British South Africa Company) and the French (Madagascar), became increasingly involved in the trade and politics of the region around the Portuguese East African territories.

SEO Australia
aircard adapters
Back to top Go down

Swahili, Arab and Portuguese rule
Page 1 of 1